In response to the removal of inciting tweets by President Muhammadu Buhari by Twitter, the Federal Government has suspended the operations of the social media giant in Nigeria.
A statement signed by the Special Assistant to the President (Media), Office of the Minister of Information and Culture Segun Adeyemi made this known in Abuja on Friday.
Adeyemi said the Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed announced the suspension in a statement saying the Twitter platform was persistently used for activities that could undermine the corporate existence of Nigeria.
“The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension in a statement issued in Abuja on Friday, citing the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence,” the statement read.
Mohammed said the federal government had also directed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to immediately commence the process of licensing all Over-the-top (OTT) and social media operations in Nigeria.
A few days ago, Twitter had removed a post by Buhari’s that threatened civil war treatment on some group of people in Nigeria.
Hg2 Online Magazine had earlier reported that the tweet was removed due to its violation of the Twitter rules about posts containing violence and other inciting contents.
According to Twitter’s rule, a user can violate its rule if he violates the safety rules of the platform, under the safety rules, the platform listed violence, terrorism/violent extremism, child sexual exploitation, abuse/harassment, hateful conduct, suicide or self-harm, sensitive media, including graphic violence and adult content, among others.